About Me

My photo
My name is Penny & I'm an agility addict

Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday Morning Blues

We had two practice sessions this weekend.
The first was Sat nite at Wet Ck... just 4 handlers there with our dogs. I was a little disappointed with Blast, he was really high, & had a lot of trouble working & concentrating when other dogs were out working at the same time - especially really fast border collies. Maybe I'm asking too much of him to work in that atmosphere? I played a bunch with him with his frisbee to see if that would "take the edge off" but it didn't seem to help too much.

Bizzie was pretty good - we set a course at the end & she did quite well, actually got her weave pole entry at speed! Yeah! We were working on her running contacts - she's good if she has a visual reminder like a pole after the contact, or a PVC box, we just need lots of practice & then to fade the reminder... I have a couple of DVD's I'm watching right now that explain different methods of teaching this skill.

Our Sunday practice was much like the Saturday one... Blast was really high again. But, there were more dogs there & some were new to him. He did some good work, but the weiner is losing it's allure! Bizzie did well, but is starting to blow her start lines again. More work there...

I did some gamble work with Boo, he did pretty well, need to reinforce his weave poles a little more, they don't seem as reliable as they used to be...

The premium for Regionals is out now, just makes me realize there's not that much time to get things together! At this point, I don't think either of my young ones will be entered... Blast just isn't focused enough yet & Bizzie will probably be bred, so she'll either be pregnant or have puppies - which is really unfortunate timing since she's just starting to get it together.

No comments: