About Me

My photo
My name is Penny & I'm an agility addict

Monday, March 16, 2009

Training Troop Trial

Well, I have mixed feelings about our results this weekend. I had the young dogs entered in a full trial for the first time. Running 3 dogs & trying to volunteer makes for a very busy weekend, especially when the young ones need lots of prep time before going into the ring...


I had Boo entered in 6 events, the most he's run since last summer... he did fine, but I thought he was tired on his jumpers round, which was the end of the day on Saturday. He Q'd 3 out of 6 runs, but 2 of the non-Q's were my fault - in Gamblers, my little guy who hated distance, stayed out & ran the line of jumps when I should have given him a better cue to come in to the teeter.
On one of the standard rounds, I walked the course wrong, so I was a little disorganized & pulled him past a jump, so it was totally my fault. The last non Q was in Snooker, when he freaked out at the judge while he was in the weave poles - quite strange really - the judge was great about it, she backed right up & he went back into the weaves .. & she came & talked to him at the end of the run.


Bizzie was really "off" on Sat - rang around the ring like a mad woman in Gamblers, then seemed apprehensive in the 1st Standard round & peed in the ring! Just when I thought she couldn't get worse, the next round she pooped in the ring! (she had just been outside before each run...)
I can't even remember her jumpers round, but there were some off courses...
I'm thinking she might be coming into heat, because she was sure acting strangely & not listening at all.
Steeplechase was the first run on Sunday, so I just ran her in a big loop around the ring & she did that very nicely. Then she actually Q'd her standard run & was a very good girl. Team was a gong show since I had Wayne run Blast as her partner - both of them were extremely naughty.
We got a good start in Snooker until she saw Wayne (who was polesetting after I asked him not to!!) & promptly jumped into his lap & I had trouble getting her focused again, so we ran out of time.

Blast had some good moments although he didn't get any Q's. His focus is improving in very small increments.. He had issues with the weave poles (which we had just practiced a bunch on Friday!) We really have to work on our timing - he has such a large stride & likes to work away from me - totally different from Boo. He was eliminated in the standard round when he also pooped in the ring, right after Bizzie did... how embarassing! they'd both been out to potty, but he did have diarrhea - no more beef heart for him I guess...


I think I need to continue with the Relaxation protocol that I've started with Blast - he gets so over the top that he really can't focus, although he really tries.
Bizzie was quite bratty, I'm thinking some obedience work might be in order for her.
Boo seems to need some proofing in the weave poles.

So much work to do, so little time!

No comments: